Karl is a director of Shine Lawyers and works in both our Christchurch and Auckland offices. He obtained a BA in Political Studies and an LLB from Otago University, and was admitted to the bar in New Zealand in 2000.
Karl joined Shine Lawyers in December 2015 having spent the previous seven years working at a well-known insurance litigation practice, providing advice to insurers and defending claims against insureds and insurers. Having acted on the other side of claims, Karl brings a unique perspective and specialised knowledge in bringing litigation against insurers. He became a director in December 2017.
Karl is passionate about getting justice for clients, who are often in stressful situations, in a cost effective and pragmatic manner. Karl has particular expertise and experience with:
- Claims involving the sale and purchase of real estate and businesses, including acting for both vendors and purchasers in disputes
- Disputes involving real estate agents and lawyers including acting both for and against those professionals
- Acting for and against a range of professionals and those involved in the construction industry including architects, plasterers, building certifiers, surveyors and engineers
- Earthquake cases having represented many clients in Christchurch fighting their insurers regarding earthquake damage and defective repairs
- Estate litigation disputes achieving outstanding results for clients in contested wills and claims under the Family Protection Act;
- Life Disability and Income Protection Claims. Karl has achieved many excellent results recovering millions of dollars in compensation for clients who have had their life or income protection claims declined
- Providing advice to insureds and brokers regarding non-disclosure and other claims issues.
Karl has also presented on insurance and legal issues on a number of occasions to insurance industry bodies, seminars and conferences.