Shine Lawyers New Zealand - Right Wrong
Andrew Hooker and the team at Shine Lawyers New Zealand are experts when it comes to challenging the decisions of insurance companies who have wrongly denied the claims of their customers. Our tenacity and commitment to client service mean that we will leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of justice. We will do everything we can to help you secure the result you are entitled to.
With over 20 years’ experience in civil and insurance related litigation, we’ve helped thousands of people across New Zealand get the compensation they deserve. Our lawyers are based in Auckland and Christchurch, but we serve clients across the country.
Lawyers have a bad reputation for being overly verbose, making matters complicated, and failing to keep their clients informed. In Andrew’s 22 years in practice, he’s learned that the following are extremely important:
- Keep it simple. Most disputes are actually relatively simple. By identifying the central issues, and focusing on them, it is possible to pursue proceedings efficiently and relatively inexpensively.
- Resolution. Most parties want their dispute resolved. So the focus must be to get the best possible resolution for the client, and that does not always mean a Court trial. There are many ways to resolve.
- Don’t threaten what you won’t do. It’s surprising how many so called court lawyers have hardly ever (if ever) done a court trial. Many lawyers are gun shy probably because they have never had the experience. If you are scared to go all the way don’t threaten it (or promise it to your client).
- Don’t waste money. Any legal dispute can become complicated and costly. Whenever pursuing or defending proceedings, it is important to remember that clients are paying for their lawyer’s time by the hour. So it is important to be cost-effective.
- Keep the client informed. My aim is for my clients to know beforehand, what is going to happen and roughly when it will happen. This is not always 100% predictable, as litigation can be a moving feast. However, there are fairly standard processes that are followed in litigation and disputes resolution, and I like my clients to know what is coming up and what rough timeframe there is so that they will understand and be able to budget for the costs.
- No surprises. My clients are encouraged to ask and question me in relation to costs. My clients pay the bills, and they are therefore entitled to know what the litigation is going to cost them. As much as possible, I will keep my clients informed as to what the various stages of any case are going to cost before that stage is embarked on. It is impossible to advise at the outset how much an entire case may cost, but it is quite possible to identify roughly what each stage is going to cost and to advise should cost estimates need to be revised.
- Work with the client. I run hundreds of cases. For every one of my clients, their case is the most important. They will almost without exception spend more time thinking about the case and thinking of ideas. I do not have a monopoly on what is right, and I encourage my clients to let me know if they have any ideas or suggestions, and to remind me of any circumstances that they believe may be relevant.
- Realistic expectations. If I think you have a bad case I will tell you. My advice will be conservative, and I will never promise something that cannot be delivered. If you are looking for a lawyer who is going to guarantee an outcome to your case, then I cannot help. But if you are looking for a lawyer who will provide conservative and realistic advice as to the prospects of your case, and the process your case will follow, then I can help you.
Meet our team
Andrew Hooker, Managing Director of Shine Lawyers New Zealand, works tirelessly to achieve great outcomes for clients. Learn more ›
Civil litigation information
We have extensive experience as civil litigation lawyers, and are able to guide you through the process by which legal disputes are resolved in New Zealand. Learn more ›
Insurance claims information
We have years of experience dealing with New Zealand insurers and can help you understand the insurance landscape. Learn more ›
We are civil litigation and insurance claims experts based in Auckland and operating throughout New Zealand. Contact us today to see how we can assist. Learn more ›
© 2017 Copyright Shine Lawyers NZ. All Rights Reserved.